Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What is it about the Fall?


Invariably Autumn always make me nostalgic. The quality of the light and the air inspires me and now the added factor of it being the season I got pregnant with Michael only adds another layer to the perfection that is Fall.
When the first chill comes a rollin' through I am instantly reminded of my first experience of going away to college for the first time in Upstate New York. My best friend and I looked at one another as our parents pulled away, and not a word was spoken because we both already knew what the other was feeling----total and complete LIBERATION...sheer EXHILARATION!!
Ironically Autumn is a time when nature around us begins to die yet the energized spirit of the people walking about seems palpable. Poets write, painters paint, hermits are inspired to come out of their shells...what is it about the Fall?
There is so much I love about Fall that I can go on forever, but to name a few...Cooking in the Fall....drinking wine in the Fall...spending time with friends and family in the fall....montauk daisies in the Fall...new boots in the Fall...Sunday football in the Fall....
And now with a child, the Fall seems even more brilliant, can't wait to take Michael pumpkin and apple picking...for a drive to see the foliage...to Montauk...
I think I might even bake a pie this Fall!
Enjoy the season (I know I will)!

"No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace
as I have seen in one autumnal face"....
John Donne

2 comments:

Sam & Dave said...

Did you say bake a pie?! Who are you?! HA!

Mary & Marc said...

Silly Sam, no I am not baking a pie, I was simply using hyperbole for the poetic value..
Piiiieeee...phaaaaaaaa!

 
Designed by Lena